Bengaluru (PTI): The Karnataka cabinet on Thursday gave nod to the Peripheral Ring Road and renamed it as ‘Bengaluru Business Corrdior’ (BBC).
Briefing reporters after the cabinet meeting, Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar said the notifications were issued in the past for the 117-km PRR from Tumakuru to Electronic City but no decisions were taken till now.
"Previous governments wanted to drop it. Now an alternative road is needed. We thought no road will be denotified," Shivakumar, who holds Bengaluru development portfolio, said.
The Deputy CM said earlier there was no provision for compensation, but the government has taken ways to give compensation to the land losers.
The notification is for 100-metre road, but it will only be 65-metre wide. The remaining 35 metres will be given back to the land losers to carry out commercial activities.
"Thirty five per cent road will be given back to farmers as compensation. It has value. If someone wants for residential purpose then we will give 40 per cent," Shivakumar said.
There will also be provision for cash compensation up to 20 guntas of land, which is half an acre.
Shivakumar said those who want Floor Area Ratio (FAR) instead of land compensation, will provided the same so that they can utilise the area adjacent to the FAR land.
Also, there will be provision to give compensation in the form of Transferrable Development Rights.
"We are ready to give two times TDR or we will give alternative Bangalore Development Authority land," the Deputy CM said.
"If someone does not want to take money then we will acquire the land and deposit the amount in the court," he clarified.
According to Shivakumar, the road will be tolled. It will also have a service road.
The project cost is about Rs 27,000 crore and the government will take loan for it.
"It’s a new chapter in Benglauru. We are building 117 km new road," Shivakumar said.
He also clarified that the state government will not denotify any land.
Following the new compensation policy, the project cost may reduce by Rs 10,000 crore, the Deputy CM said, adding the project may require 1,800 acres of land in the north side of the city.
"This project will be completed within two years by the BDA. The TDR value will be given as per the BBMP rules, which is beneficial for the land losers. I have asked officers to create TDR exchange system," Shivakumar said.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Fugitive businessman Vijay Mallya, facing multiple cases of fraud and money laundering, told the Bombay High Court on Wednesday that he cannot say when he will return to India as he is legally barred from leaving the UK.
In a statement submitted through his counsel Amit Desai to the high court, Mallya said he did not have an active passport after it was revoked and hence, he cannot give a definite date of return to India.
The statement was submitted after a bench of Chief Justice Shree Chandrashekhar and Justice Gautam Ankhad made it clear last week that it would not hear Mallya's plea against the order declaring a fugitive economic offender until he returns to India.
The court had then asked the former liquor to clarify whether or not he intended to return to India.
Mallya, based in the United Kingdom since 2016, has filed two petitions in the HC -- one challenging an order declaring him a fugitive economic offender and the other questioning the constitutional validity of the Fugitive Economic Offenders Act.
The 70-year-old liquor baron is accused of defaulting on multiple loan repayments of several thousand crores and facing money laundering charges.
The businessman, in his statement to HC, said he cannot give a definite date for his return as he does not have his Indian passport, which was revoked by the government in 2016, and also because there are orders of courts in England and Wales that prohibit him from leaving the country.
"Mallya is not permitted to leave or attempt to leave England and Wales or apply for or be in possession of any international travel document. In any event, the petitioner is unable to precisely state when he will return to India," Desai read out the statement in the court.
The senior counsel reiterated that Mallya's presence was not required in the country for the court to hear his pleas against the fugitive tag and the provisions of the Act.
"If he (Mallya) were to appear in India, then all these proceedings would be rendered irrelevant as the statute says that once the offender appears in the concerned court of law, then all these orders would be set aside," Desai told the court.
The bench directed the Union government to file its reply to Mallya's statement and posted the matter for further hearing next month.
Mallya was declared a Fugitive Economic Offender in January 2019 by a special court hearing cases under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).
The businessman left India in March 2016.
