Bengaluru, Mar 15 (PTI): In response to escalating human-elephant conflicts in Bikkodu, Arehalli, and surrounding areas of Belur taluk of Karnataka, Minister Eshwar B Khandre ordered on Saturday to capture the three aggressive elephants terrorising locals.

The Forest, Ecology, and Environment minister directed the establishment of an immediate Elephant Task Force (ETF) office in the area and the deployment of a Deputy Conservator of Forests-rank officer to oversee operations.

He held an emergency meeting with forest officials at Vikas Soudha, following the death of a woman in an elephant attack at a plantation on March 14. Khandre instructed authorities to procure two thermal camera-equipped drones for the Hassan range to monitor elephant movements round-the-clock and alert residents promptly.

Given the severity of elephant-related issues, Khandre mandated the deployment of two additional jeeps and more staff for emergency response teams. He emphasised swift action upon receiving alerts about elephant movements.

In a press release issued by the minister's office, he also ordered awareness campaigns for Belur residents, and plantation workers to mitigate risks. These will focus on elephant behaviour, precautionary measures during encounters, and safety protocols for dawn and dusk movements, added the release.

Plantation owners must collaborate in organising village-level public meetings to educate communities, said the minister.

Khandre stressed timely monthly salaries, food allowances, uniforms, shoes, jackets, and insurance for ETF and outsourced staff. He also called for providing walkie-talkies in areas with poor mobile connectivity to ensure seamless communication.

Additional Chief Secretary Anjum Parvez, Principal Chief Conservator of Forests Meenakshi Negi, Chief Wildlife Conservator Subhash Malkhade, and other senior officials participated in the review.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): Fugitive businessman Vijay Mallya, facing multiple cases of fraud and money laundering, told the Bombay High Court on Wednesday that he cannot say when he will return to India as he is legally barred from leaving the UK.

In a statement submitted through his counsel Amit Desai to the high court, Mallya said he did not have an active passport after it was revoked and hence, he cannot give a definite date of return to India.

The statement was submitted after a bench of Chief Justice Shree Chandrashekhar and Justice Gautam Ankhad made it clear last week that it would not hear Mallya's plea against the order declaring a fugitive economic offender until he returns to India.

The court had then asked the former liquor to clarify whether or not he intended to return to India.

Mallya, based in the United Kingdom since 2016, has filed two petitions in the HC -- one challenging an order declaring him a fugitive economic offender and the other questioning the constitutional validity of the Fugitive Economic Offenders Act.

The 70-year-old liquor baron is accused of defaulting on multiple loan repayments of several thousand crores and facing money laundering charges.

The businessman, in his statement to HC, said he cannot give a definite date for his return as he does not have his Indian passport, which was revoked by the government in 2016, and also because there are orders of courts in England and Wales that prohibit him from leaving the country.

"Mallya is not permitted to leave or attempt to leave England and Wales or apply for or be in possession of any international travel document. In any event, the petitioner is unable to precisely state when he will return to India," Desai read out the statement in the court.

The senior counsel reiterated that Mallya's presence was not required in the country for the court to hear his pleas against the fugitive tag and the provisions of the Act.

"If he (Mallya) were to appear in India, then all these proceedings would be rendered irrelevant as the statute says that once the offender appears in the concerned court of law, then all these orders would be set aside," Desai told the court.

The bench directed the Union government to file its reply to Mallya's statement and posted the matter for further hearing next month.

Mallya was declared a Fugitive Economic Offender in January 2019 by a special court hearing cases under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).

The businessman left India in March 2016.