Bengaluru: Infrastructure Development Minister MB Patil has directed the concerned officials to submit to the Cabinet a proposal for the Rs 17.6 crore required to acquire land for construction of an airstrip in Chikkamagaluru.

The airstrips for Chikkamagaluru and Kodagu district were announced in the 2023–24 state budget. Patil, who held a meeting on Thursday, told the officials to present the proposal in the next Cabinet meeting, reports Deccan Herald.

The minister has said that the Chikkamagaluru district administration has already provided 137 acres of land, located between Chikkamagaluru and Hiremagaluru, for the proposed airstrip. The stretch includes 120 acres of land belonging to the government, while the remaining 17.1 acres of land are privately owned and need to be acquired. Patil added that, of the total acquisition cost of Rs 24.6 crore, Rs 7 crore has already been sanctioned and Rs 17.6 crore is pending for release.

The Karnataka State Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation (KSIIDC) has been directed to release the remaining funds. Also, the Finance Department will be handed the proposal before presenting it before the Cabinet, Patil has said.

A heliport is also being planned on the site, said Patil, stressing that the infrastructure provided should have the capacity to handle large aircrafts in future. A team of experts from KSIIDC will be deployed to identify adjoining sites that can be acquired for the projects, he added.

In reference to the proposed airstrip in Kodagu, Patil said that officials have been asked to resolve the land acquisition issues at the earliest and to identify suitable land for the project.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): The government has promulgated an ordinance to increase the strength of the Supreme Court from the present 34 judges to 38, including the Chief Justice of India.

The law ministry notified the ordinance on Saturday, which amended the Supreme Court (Number of Judges) Act, 1956, to increase the sanctioned strength of the top court.

So far, the sanctioned strength of the top court was 34, including the Chief Justice of India (CJI). Now, the number of judges has been increased by four, taking the sanctioned strength to 38.

The top court will now have 37 judges, other than the CJI.

With the apex court having two vacancies at present, and the ordinance coming into force immediately, the Supreme Court Collegium will now have to recommend six names for appointment as judges in the top court.

A bill will be brought in the Monsoon Session of Parliament to convert the ordinance – an executive order – into a law passed by Parliament.

The Union Cabinet had cleared a draft bill on May 5 to increase the number of apex court judges.

The strength of the Supreme Court was last increased from 30 to 33 (excluding the CJI) in 2019.

The Supreme Court (Number of Judges) Act, as originally enacted in 1956, put the maximum number of judges (excluding the CJI) at 10.

This number was increased to 13 by the Supreme Court (Number of Judges), Amendment Act, 1960, and to 17 by another amendment to the law.

The Supreme Court (Number of Judges) Amendment Act, 1986, augmented the strength of judges from 17 to 25, excluding the CJI.

A fresh amendment in 2009 further increased the strength from 25 to 30.

Article 124(3) of the Constitution lists the qualifications required to become a Supreme Court judge.

An Indian citizen who has either served as a high court judge for at least five years, or as an advocate for 10 years, or is a distinguished jurist, can be appointed to the top court.

The strength of the Supreme Court is increased based on the recommendations of the CJI, who writes to the Union law minister. After consulting the finance ministry, the Department of Justice under the law ministry moves the Cabinet with a draft bill.