Bengaluru (PTI): A 26-year-old woman allegedly died by suicide nearly a month after her wedding here, with her husband and his family facing murder and dowry harassment charges, police said on Thursday.

The deceased has been identified as Aishwarya C K, who married Likhith Simha on November 27.

Simha (28), a real estate agent, has been arrested along with his mother and brother in connection with the death.

They have been booked on charges including murder and dowry-related harassment, they said.

The incident occurred on December 24 within the limits of Bagalagunte police station. No suicide note has been recovered so far, they added.

ALSO READ: Shivakumar meets Kharge, leads to speculations linking it to CM change issue

During preliminary inquiry, the husband’s family told the police that they were not at home at the time of the incident.

On returning, they allegedly found Aishwarya hanging from a ceiling fan using her saree and rushed her to a hospital, where she was declared dead.

In his complaint, the woman’s father alleged that despite fulfilling dowry demands and spending heavily on the marriage, his daughter was subjected to "continuous physical" and "mental harassment" by her husband, mother-in-law and brother-in-law.

He further alleged that Aishwarya was repeatedly humiliated, intimidated and abused, and that the harassment continued even after attempts to counsel the couple and resolve the conflict.

The complainant also stated that he spoke to his daughter on December 24, during which she sounded extremely distressed, and held her husband and his family responsible for her death.

Based on a complaint lodged by the woman’s father, a case has been registered against the three accused under Sections 103 (murder), 80 (dowry death), and 85 (husband or relative of husband subjecting a woman to cruelty) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, along with relevant provisions of the Dowry Prohibition Act, the officer said.

Further investigation is underway to ascertain the exact cause of death, police added.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): The Delhi High Court on Friday asked Jaideep Sengar, brother of Unnao rape case convict Kuldeep Sengar, to surrender before jail authorities in connection with his conviction in the custodial death case of the survivor's father.

A bench of Justices Navin Chawla and Ravinder Dudeja was hearing a plea by the convict for further extension of interim bail upon suspension of the 10-year sentence.

It observed that the interim bail granted to Jaideep Sengar in July 2024 was last extended in April 2025 and since then, in spite of five dates, no order of any further extension or suspension of his sentence has been passed by the court.

As the senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar urged the bench to extend the period of his release on account of his health, the bench said, "You surrender and then we will see."

"Although there is no extension of interim suspension of sentence granted, we find he has still not surrendered. Before we proceed to consider his application for further extension of suspension of sentence, we require the appellant to first surrender," the bench ordered.

The senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar assured the court that he would surrender by Saturday.

The court listed the matter for hearing next week.

Jaideep Sengar, 50, sought the bail extension on the grounds that he is suffering from oral cancer.

The Central Bureau of Investigation's (CBI) counsel had earlier said it was not a fit case for extension of interim bail, and the prescription given by Jaideep Sengar in support of his plea was fabricated.

In his application, Jaideep Sengar said he was suffering from stage IV oral cancer, a life-threatening condition, and had developed clinical signs of recurrence.

The condition, the plea said, required continuous and specialised medical care.

The plea also informed that Jaideep Sengar has spent about four years in custody.

The high court had granted interim bail to Jaideep Sengar on July 3, 2024, for two months on medical grounds.

Kuldeep Sengar was convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for the remainder of his life on December 20, 2019, for raping the minor in 2017.

On March 13, 2020, Kuldeep Sengar, along with Jaideep Sengar, was sentenced to 10 years' rigorous imprisonment by the trial court, which also imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakh, in the custodial death case of the rape survivor's father.

The survivor's father was arrested, allegedly at the behest of the accused, under the Arms Act and died in custody on April 9, 2018, owing to police brutality.

The trial court said no leniency could be shown for killing a family's sole breadwinner.