Bengaluru, Mar 14 (PTI): Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Friday told the Legislative Assembly that a decision will be taken on the closure or continuation of new universities established in the state, during the previous BJP government, based on the findings of the cabinet sub-committee.

He said Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar headed cabinet sub-committee tasked with reviewing the status of public universities in the state, is yet to submit its report to the government.

The chief minister said this in the Assembly when BJP MLA and former Higher Education Minister C N Ashwath Narayan sought discussion on the issue under an adjournment motion.

"We are not closing...seven new universities that were opened by them (BJP). We will not close any university. Whether to continue them or not a cabinet sub-committee has been formed headed by the Deputy Chief Minister. They have not yet given the report," Siddaramaiah said.

He said, "Even before the report is submitted, they (BJP) have developed concerns. We will not close. To look into whether -- to continue the universities or not, it (the cabinet sub-committee) has been formed."

At this point, several BJP legislators, including Basavanagouda Patil Yatnal, questioned as to what the CM meant by saying that universities will not be closed, and the cabinet sub-committee has been formed to look into whether to continue the universities or not.

 

However, the CM responding to this, maintained that the cabinet sub-committee has not submitted the report and the matter has not been discussed in the cabinet yet.

"I feel it is premature to discuss this. There is no need for discussion on this by bringing an adjournment motion. It is not that important and it is not a matter of recent occurrence. There has been no decision yet," he said.

There is no need for any worry, Siddaramaiah further said, "Once the cabinet sub-committee report comes, we will decide in the cabinet whether to continue or not."

Intervening at this point, Leader of Opposition R Ashoka, said the CM's statement on the issue is different from what has been said by the Deputy Chief Minister and the Higher Education Minister, and that has caused the concern. "What the CM seems to be saying is we will close the door but won't lock it..."

Siddaramaiah, however, reiterated that a cabinet sub-committee has been formed. After considering the pros and cons, they will submit a report. "The cabinet will then examine it and decide whether to continue (universities) or not."

According to reports, at least nine new universities that are said to be on the radar are -- Koppal, Bagalkot, Haveri, Kodagu, Hassan, Chamarajanagar, Nrupathunga, Mandya and the Maharani cluster.

Shivakumar, last week, told the Assembly that the government would merge the new universities with their parent institutions. "We are just merging universities because they are not viable," he had said.

Earlier, as Narayan tried to push for discussion under an adjournment motion on the issue, Speaker U T Khader suggested that the issue can be raised during the discussion on budget, as there has already been some discussion on the matter.

Siddaramaiah too suggested the issue can be discussed during the budget discussion. However, Narayan, wanting to make preliminary mention or submission on the subject, stressed on the importance of universities for the all round development of a region and people living there, and said, there are concerns that the government is planning to shut down some universities citing financial reasons.

Higher Education Minister M C Sudhakar said Narayan and the BJP were trying to raise the matter unnecessarily as it has become a "prestige issue" for them.

The Speaker, however, later said that he would allow discussion on the matter next week.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

 

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): Fugitive businessman Vijay Mallya, facing multiple cases of fraud and money laundering, told the Bombay High Court on Wednesday that he cannot say when he will return to India as he is legally barred from leaving the UK.

In a statement submitted through his counsel Amit Desai to the high court, Mallya said he did not have an active passport after it was revoked and hence, he cannot give a definite date of return to India.

The statement was submitted after a bench of Chief Justice Shree Chandrashekhar and Justice Gautam Ankhad made it clear last week that it would not hear Mallya's plea against the order declaring a fugitive economic offender until he returns to India.

The court had then asked the former liquor to clarify whether or not he intended to return to India.

Mallya, based in the United Kingdom since 2016, has filed two petitions in the HC -- one challenging an order declaring him a fugitive economic offender and the other questioning the constitutional validity of the Fugitive Economic Offenders Act.

The 70-year-old liquor baron is accused of defaulting on multiple loan repayments of several thousand crores and facing money laundering charges.

The businessman, in his statement to HC, said he cannot give a definite date for his return as he does not have his Indian passport, which was revoked by the government in 2016, and also because there are orders of courts in England and Wales that prohibit him from leaving the country.

"Mallya is not permitted to leave or attempt to leave England and Wales or apply for or be in possession of any international travel document. In any event, the petitioner is unable to precisely state when he will return to India," Desai read out the statement in the court.

The senior counsel reiterated that Mallya's presence was not required in the country for the court to hear his pleas against the fugitive tag and the provisions of the Act.

"If he (Mallya) were to appear in India, then all these proceedings would be rendered irrelevant as the statute says that once the offender appears in the concerned court of law, then all these orders would be set aside," Desai told the court.

The bench directed the Union government to file its reply to Mallya's statement and posted the matter for further hearing next month.

Mallya was declared a Fugitive Economic Offender in January 2019 by a special court hearing cases under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).

The businessman left India in March 2016.