Bengaluru: A high level stakeholders' meeting was held on April 15 in New Delhi to discuss restarting commercial operations at the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) Airport in Bengaluru. The meeting was convened in the light of increasing air traffic congestion and long travel times to the Kempegowda International Airport (KIA), revolved around obtaining regulatory approvals and operational frameworks.

The HAL Airport which was the city's major air traffic hub up to 2008, was closed to civilian flights after the opening of KIA. Since then, it has continued to operate for military, VVIP, and private charter services. With two-hour road travel to KIA on many occasions because of bottlenecks at the Hebbal interchange and the Metro link being over two years from completion, there is renewed focus on strategic benefits of reviving the centrally located HAL plant.

Bengaluru South MP Tejasvi Surya, who is pushing for its revival, has confirmed that both Airports Authority of India (AAI) and Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL) have shown interest, though their stands are different. AAI is said to be keen to handle operations itself, whereas BIAL has cited a no-compete clause in its concession arrangement. With this difference unresolved, the Civil Aviation Secretary has asked for further consultations to work out possible arrangements.

The airport infrastructure remains largely intact with a runway, measuring 3,306 metres and equipped with a Category I Instrument Landing System, is capable of handling wide-body aircraft including Boeing 747s. In its last year of commercial service, HAL Airport had an annual passenger handling capacity of 10 million. Thirty parking bays, two helipads, and other support infrastructure continue to be in use for existing non-commercial flight operations.

Sources indicate that AAI has drawn up a master plan for reviving commercial services. This includes upgrades to the terminal building and provision for a multi-level parking facility for around 500 vehicles. However, a government notification issued in April 2024, formalising the extension of BIAL’s concession agreement till 2063, did not reference a clause discussed earlier that would have allowed BIAL to also operate HAL for limited civilian use.
Even so, HAL has reportedly remained in conversation with both the Union Government and BIAL to explore mutually agreeable terms under which the airport can resume partial commercial operations. A phased reopening, suggested by aviation analysts, is being considered. The proposal includes allowing select short-haul flights, especially during off-peak hours. This could include late-night flights to major metros and regional connections to destinations such as Hubballi. Former HAL spokesperson Gopal Sutar said that the airport could be made flight-ready within weeks, should the required approvals be issued.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Lakhimpur Kheri (UP) (PTI): Ten people were killed when a van collided head-on with a truck on the Sisaiya-Lakhimpur national highway on Monday, police said.

The van was going to Sisaiya from Lakhimpur when the accident took place between Unchgaon and Bharehta villages.

Circle Officer of Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh, said all nine passengers travelling in the van and the driver were killed.

District Magistrate of Lakhimpur Kheri Anjani Kumar Singh told reporters that the van collided with a truck coming from the opposite direction, leading to nine casualties on the spot, while one succumbed to injuries at the district hospital.

Circle Officer, Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh told PTI, "Efforts are on to establish the identity of other deceased persons."

The seven of the deceased have been identified as Jaideep Singh (25), Pawan (23), Sohan (21), Ram Goyal (42), Sahajram (35), Pappu (18), all residents of Bahraich district and Adnan Khan (15), a resident of Lakhimpur Kheri district, police said.

Condoling the loss of lives in the accident, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in a post on X, said, "The loss of life in the unfortunate road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply distressing and heart-wrenching. My condolences are with the bereaved families."

"I have directed the local administration to provide prompt and adequate assistance to the injured and the victims. I pray to Lord Shri Ram to grant the departed souls a place at His divine feet and to bestow a speedy recovery upon the injured," Adityanath said on X.

Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya and Brajesh Pathak too condoled the loss of lives in the accident.

"The loss of lives resulting from the road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply tragic and heart-wrenching. My deepest condolences go out to the bereaved families," Maurya said.