London (AP): Meta plans to give Facebook and Instagram users in Europe the option of paying for ad-free versions of the social media platforms as a way to comply with the continent's strict data privacy rules, the Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday.

The company wants to charge users about 10 euros (USD 10.50) a month to use Instagram or Facebook without ads on desktop browsers, the newspaper reported, citing unnamed people familiar with the proposal. Adding more accounts would cost 6 euros each.

Prices for mobile would be higher, at roughly 13 euros a month, because Meta needs to account for commissions charged by the Apple and Google app stores on in-app payments, the newspaper said.

Meta reportedly is hoping to roll out paid subscriptions in the coming months as a way to comply with European Union data privacy rules that threaten its lucrative business model of showing personalised ads to users.

Meta would give users the choice between continuing to use the platforms with ads or paying for the ad-free version, the WSJ said.

"Meta believes in the value of free services which are supported by personalised ads," the company said in a statement to The Associated Press. "However, we continue to explore options to ensure we comply with evolving regulatory requirements. We have nothing further to share at this time."

The EU's top court said in July that Meta must first get consent before showing ads to users a ruling that jeopardises the company's ability to make money by tailoring advertisements for individual users based on their online interests and digital activity.

It's not clear if EU regulators will sign off on the plan or insist that the company offer cheaper versions. The newspaper said one issue regulators have is whether the proposed fees will be too expensive for most people who don't want to be targeted by ads.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mangaluru: The city police have nabbed five more individuals, in connection with the Boliyar stabbing incident taking the total number of arrests to 11, on Wednesday.

The arrested accused have been identified as Tajjudin, Sarwan, Mubarak, Ashraf and Talhat, all residents of Boliyar.

Previously the police had arrested Boliyar residents, Muhammad Shakir, Abdul Razzaq, Aboobacker Siddique, Sawad, Monu alias Hafeez, Aboobacker.

ALSO READ: Auto-driver from Hassan arrested for sexually harassing woman in Kalladka

Earlier on June 9, during a victory procession organized by the BJP workers in Boliyar, to celebrate Narendra Modi's swearing-in as Prime Minister, some participants allegedly shouted provocative slogans in front of the Boliyar mosque. When an altercation broke out, resulting in three activists Harish, Nandan Kumar, and Kishan Kumar of Dharmanagar being stabbed by a group. The injured were subsequently admitted to a private hospital in Deralkatte.

Additionally, a case has been registered against five BJP workers Suresh, Vinay, Subhash, Ranjith, and Dhananjaya based on a complaint by the president of the mosque. The complaint alleges that the BJP workers shouted provocative slogans in front of the Boliyar mosque during the victory celebrations.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Mangaluru and Dakshina Kannada in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Mangaluru.