Cape Town (PTI): South African power-hitter Heinrich Klaasen on Monday announced his retirement from all forms of international cricket with immediate effect as he aims to strike a work-life balance, prioritising his commitments in franchise leagues across the globe.
The 33-year-old Klaasen had announced his retirement from Test cricket in January last year and has now also decided to quit the white ball formats having represented the Proteas in 4 Tests, 60 ODIs and 58 T20Is in which he scored 2764 runs.
"It is a sad day for me as I announce that I have decided to step away from international cricket. It took me a long time to decide what's best for me and my family for the future. It was truly a very difficult decision but also one that I have absolute peace with," Klaasen announced on his Instagram.
One of the most sought after batters in the T20 leagues, Klaasen had recently represented Sunrisers Hyderabad in the IPL and scored a ton in the concluding league game. His next assignment will be Major League Cricket in the United States for Seattle Orcas later this month.
Klaasen, who played in the T20 World Cup final against India, termed playing for the national team as his "biggest privilege".
"From the first day, it was the biggest privilege representing my country and it was everything that I have worked for and dreamed about as a young boy," Klaasen said in his emotional statement.
Someone who is known for his towering sixes and game-changing knocks as a finisher in the T20 universe, the decision is hardly surprising as the hectic international calendar is taking a toll on physical and mental health of the players.
There has been multiple surveys that have pointed at this trend where barring India whose active male cricketers are not allowed to ply their trade in other leagues, top players from other countries would explore options of turning full-fledged freelancers.
"I look forward to spending more time with my family as this decision will allow me to do so."
Klaasen fondly remembered the friendships forged on a day when another white ball exponent Glenn Maxwell quit ODIs.
"I have made great friendships and relationships that I will treasure for life. Playing for the Proteas gave me the opportunity to meet great people that changed my life, and to those people I can’t say thank you enough. My road to wearing the Proteas shirt was different than most and there were certain coaches in my career that kept believing in me - to them I will always be grateful."
"To have played with the Proteas badge on my chest was and will always be the biggest honour in my career," he concluded.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Medininagar (Jharkhand) (PTI): A 22-year-old man was allegedly beaten to death by a group of people after they suspected him of trying to steal a battery from a vehicle in Jharkhand's Palamu district, police said on Sunday.
One of the accused has been detained, a police officer said.
The incident occurred in Teliyahi village in Padwa police station area late on Saturday night. The deceased has been identified as Pawan Ram, a resident of Murma village in the same police station area.
Palamu Superintendent of Police Reeshma Ramesan told PTI that upon receiving information around 12.30 am that a man accused of trying to steal the battery of a vehicle has been caught, a patrolling team reached the spot and found that the victim had been tied up and beaten up by the villagers.
Police rescued him and took him to the nearest hospital, where he was declared brought dead, she said.
"The police have detained one accused so far. It is also suspected that the victim might have gone there to meet his lover and was caught by villagers, who accused him of trying to steal the battery of a tractor. Further investigation is underway," she added.
A medical board is conducting the post-mortem examination of the deceased in the presence of a magistrate. The entire process is being videographed and photographed, the SP said.
Medininagar Sub-divisional Police Officer (SDPO) Rajesh Kumar told PTI that the detained person has been identified as Paras Nath Mehta (35), and a manhunt has been launched to nab the others.
The SDPO said it is a clear case of mob lynching and the police have lodged an FIR under Section 103(2) of the BNS and other sections.
The police have not recovered any stolen battery from him, he added.
