Hangzhou (China), Sep 14 (PTI): The Indian women's hockey team faltered when it mattered the most, losing 1-4 to China in the final of Asia Cup to miss out on direct qualification for next year's World Cup, here on Sunday.

India drew the first blood through a penalty corner conversion by Navneet Kaur in the very first minute itself before China came into their own, scoring through Zixia Ou (21st minute), Hong Li (41st), Meirong Zou (51st) and Jiaqi Zhong (53rd) to win their third title in tournament and secure their passage to the 2026 World Cup, to be held in Belgium and Netherlands.

India got their first scoring chance within 39 seconds of the start of the match in the form of a penalty corner and Navneet was on target to hand her side an early lead.

Three minutes later, China had a bright chance to draw level when they earned back-to-back penalty corners, but the Indians defended brilliantly.

Stunned by the early goal, China went on the offensive and mounted continuous raids on the Indian half, but the Salima Tete-led side held its ground stoutly.

The Chinese kept up their relentless pressure on the Indian citadel and earned another set of penalty corners two minutes into the second quarter but failed to breach the resolute opposition defence.

China created chances after chances, keeping the ball almost in the Indian circle but were unable to find the equaliser.

The home team's relentless pressure finally paid off as it secured the equaliser in he 21st minute through a penalty corner conversion by Zixia Ou.

The equaliser seemed to have lifted the morale of China as they continuously pushed for the lead, keeping the India defence under tremendous pressure. However, both the teams went into half-time break locked at 1-1.

China, though, were the more dominant side in the first half.

India switched gears after the change of ends and played attacking hockey, albeit without much success as the Chinese defence was at its best, keeping the ball away from their circle.

Meanwhile, China's persistent attacks finally paid dividends when Hong Li scored a fine field goal from a counter attack four minutes from the third quarter.

Trailing by a goal, the Indians, ranked ninth in the world, pressed hard for the all-important equaliser in the fourth and final quarter but failed to breach the Chinese defence.

The Chinese extended their lead by pumping in two more goals in a span of two minutes to take the tie away from India and secure their title.

In the 51st minute Meirong Zou scored from a field effort and then Jiaqi Zhong added another field goal two minutes later to take a comfortable lead.

China had earlier won the Asia Cup in 1989 in Hong Kong and 2009 in Bangkok.

India were done in by the subdued performance of their strike force in the final as the likes of Mumtaz Khan, Lalremsiami, and Sunelita Toppo failed to rise to the occasion after decent outings in the earlier matches.

India will now have to go through the World Cup Qualifiers to seal their place in the top global event.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Thiruvananthapuram (PTI): Kerala Police chief Ravada Chandrasekhar has said more than 30,000 drug-related cases were registered in the state last year as part of the government's ongoing 'D-Hunt' drive against drug abuse and trafficking.

In an interview with PTI Videos, the Director General of Police dismissed allegations that Kerala has become a drug hub. The police chief said the higher number of cases reflects stronger detection, not increased drug activity.

Speaking on the 'D-Hunt' campaign, he said it is a coordinated effort by the police and excise departments to crack down on both the supply and demand sides of the drug trade.

Chandrasekhar did not rule out a shift towards synthetic drugs, saying there were clear signs of rising demand.

"The shift towards synthetic drugs is a great possibility, as we regularly seize MDMA. That shows there is an increase in demand. We are addressing it, and we are taking very strong action," Chandrasekhar said.

ALSO READ:  Fireworks shop explosion in China kills 12 people in second such blast in days

The DGP said the police force is giving greater importance to prevention, with awareness programmes organised across the state with community support.

"Our main aim is to reduce the demand side. We are organising various programmes with the help of Student Police Cadets, Janamaithri police and strong community participation," he said.

Highlighting a new initiative, he said the police had launched PODA (Prevention of Drug Abuse) in partnership with the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and Young India chapter in Thiruvananthapuram.

"Twenty-one companies have come forward and more than 1,000 employees have voluntarily declared they will not use drugs and are ready for random checks. It is a very good initiative," he said, adding that the programme would be expanded across the state.

On enforcement, Chandrasekhar said the police have made major commercial quantity seizures, tightening pressure on drug suppliers and traffickers.

"In all commercial quantity cases, we invoke provisions of the Preventive Detention Act and also forfeit their properties. This sends a strong message to major suppliers," he said.

Dismissing allegations that Kerala has become a drug hub, Chandrasekhar said, "The allegation is unfounded. There is definitely an increase in detection of cases, which means officers are working very hard to identify and take legal action."

The police chief also said that during a special drive on Tuesday, police detained more than 1,200 people, including hundreds against whom warrants were pending.

He said the operation was conducted in the backdrop of the recent Thiruvalla parlour attack, where a woman was assaulted in broad daylight.

"We will continue such drives to take action against criminal elements and enforce preventive custody. These drives will be intensified as the state is heading for elections," Chandrasekhar added.

Chandrasekhar said the Kerala Police largely perform their duties well and receive widespread appreciation from the public, with only a few stray cases of misconduct reported.

The police chief said that in a force of around 60,000 personnel, who interact with 10,000 to 15,000 people every day, only one or two cases of aberrant behaviour come to notice, and strict action is taken in such instances.

"We have 60,000-odd police personnel. There may be a few troublemakers. Every day we touch 10,000 to 15,000 lives either directly or indirectly. One or two small aberrant behaviours come to our notice and we definitely take note of them and take appropriate action against the officers or personnel involved," the DGP said.

He said that overall, the Kerala Police have earned praise for their conduct, citing their role during major events.

"Generally, Kerala Police get a lot of kudos for good behaviour. You have seen it during the Sabarimala season, during the local body elections. In all these areas, police officers conducted themselves extremely well, and their hard work has actually earned us praise," Chandrasekhar said.

The DGP said police personnel have been clearly instructed to behave respectfully with the public, especially with those who approach police stations seeking help.

"My directive to policemen is that we should conduct ourselves with utmost restraint. Behaviour should be the standard norm and we would like to encourage that. I urge my colleagues to do the same and I request the public to support the police so that we can give better service," he said.

He said there is a strong emphasis on mutual respect between the police and the public.

"Anybody coming to a police station should be handled with respect, and all interactions with the public have to be very cordial. Police are public, and public are police. We need to respect each other. Kerala Police is a professional force and we act as per the law," the DGP said.