Lahore (PTI): A 'disappointed' Pakistan Cricket Board on Wednesday requested the Asian Cricket Council to convene an emergency meeting in the wake of BCCI secretary Jay Shah's statement that India won't travel to Pakistan for next year's Asia Cup.
In its first official response to Shah's statement that India would like to play the continental tournament at a neutral venue and not tour Pakistan, the PCB said "such statements can spilt the Asian and international cricket communities" and can impact Pakistan's visit to India for the 2023 World Cup.
Shah, who made the statement after the BCCI AGM on Tuesday, also happens to be the ACC president.
"The overall impact of such statements have the potential to split the Asian and international cricketing communities, and can impact Pakistan's visit to India for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 and future ICC Events in India in the 2024-2031 cycle.
"The PCB has to date not received any official communication or clarification from the ACC on the statement of the ACC President. As such, the PCB has now requested the Asian Cricket Council to convene an emergency meeting of its Board as soon as practically possible to discuss this important and sensitive matter," it said.
Pakistan has been allotted hosting rights for the Asia Cup which will be held ahead of the ODI World Cup in India in October-November.
The T20 Asia Cup held last month had to be shifted from Sri Lanka to the UAE amid the economic crisis in the island nation.
India and Pakistan only play each other in Asian and ICC events due to the political tensions between the two countries. India last toured Pakistan in 2008 while Pakistan's last series in India came in 2012-13.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Bengaluru: Deputy Chief Minister D.K. Shivakumar has indicated that a water tariff hike in Bengaluru is imminent, with a potential increase of one paisa per litre.
The revision, he stated, is necessary to fund upcoming phases of the Cauvery water supply project. However, he assured that the government is committed to ensuring that it does not burden the public.
Shivakumar emphasized that the increase is essential to address the massive losses incurred by the Bangalore Water Supply and Sewerage Board (BWSSB), which is reportedly losing over Rs 1,000 crore annually. "The tariff revision is unavoidable. We must raise the water rate by at least one paisa per litre. However, we have instructed BWSSB to implement this increase in a way that minimises the impact on citizens," he said.
Despite criticism over recent back-to-back price hikes on various services and commodities by the state government, Shivakumar stood firm on the need for the water tariff revision. He added that before the hike takes effect, there would be efforts to raise awareness among the public about the importance of water conservation.
Shivakumar also responded to the BJP's opposition to the tariff increase. He asserted that when they reduced electricity prices, the BJP remained silent. “If they are concerned about citizens' livelihoods, they should first focus on reducing the costs of essentials like petrol, diesel, and animal feed," he said. He further pointed out that despite recent price increases, the prices of milk and curd in Karnataka remain lower compared to other states.