Bristol: Sri Lanka were forced to split points for the second successive time in the ongoing World Cup after their match against Bangladesh was called off without a ball being bowled due to persistent rain here Tuesday.
Both the teams came into the match with one win from three matches and now each will get a point for the washout. Sri Lanka now have four points from as many games, while Bangladesh have three points from four games.
After two defeats, Bangladesh were looking for resurgence against Sri Lanka and now they will be wary of their semifinal chances.
"For all the teams, coming to the ground and not playing is disappointing and frustrating," said Bangladesh skipper Mashrafe Mortaza.
"This is how the tournament is going, we got our chances against New Zealand, we couldn't get going in the England match, but it was frustrating today."
The result will leave Sri Lanka frustrated too as it is the second instant of a wash-out for the Island nation.
"The last few games have been washed out, so these kind of tournaments aren't easy. It is a bad time for us," Sri Lanka skipper Dimuth Karunaratne said.
"It isn't easy, we have to switch on and off all the time. These kind of things can happen but we have to get used to it. We can keep practicing and train harder for the Australia game. Definitely in every match we need to play for a win," he added.
This is the third match to be abandoned in the ongoing World Cup, the most in the history of the tournament, exceeding the two games at the 1992 edition in Australia and New Zealand and the 2003 event which was co-hosted by South Africa, Zimbabwe and Kenya.
The 10-team showpiece event doesn't have any reserve days. Asked if there should be reserve days, Bangladesh coach Steve Rhodes said: "Yes, I would (have them).
"I know logistically it would have caused problems. But we can put a man on the moon, so if we have to travel a day later, so be it."
On Tuesday, both Bangladesh and Sri Lanka were left staring at the sky, waiting for some divine intervention after the start of their key match was delayed due to heavy rains.
The inspection was postponed twice even as groundsmen tirelessly worked on draining out the water on the covers with the sucking brooms and mops.
At 13:57 local time, the umpires finally decided to officially abandon the match.
While for Bangladesh, it is there first World Cup match to be washed out, Sri Lanka were forced to split points with Pakistan in their last game after the match was called off due to rains.
On Monday, a struggling South Africa had to share points with the West Indies after their World Cup match was washed out due to persistent rain at Southampton.
Sri Lanka will next take on defending champions Australia at London on June 15, while Bangladesh will face West Indies on June 17 at Taunton.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Bengaluru (PTI): The Karnataka State Cyber Command has arrested 68 people as part of a statewide drive against mule bank accounts and “mule herders” involved in cyber fraud, officials said on Friday.
The special operations, which have been continuing since last week across Karnataka, targeted networks engaged in aggregating and selling mule bank accounts used for cyber crimes.
The arrests were made between December 2025 and February 2026, police said in an updated report.
“The Karnataka Cyber Command has conducted statewide special operations against Mule accounts and mule herders across Karnataka. The special drive has continued since last week and this is an updated report,” the department said in a statement.
ALSO READ: CM Siddaramaiah appeals for peace after Bagalkote clashes, BJP blames Cong
Police said the investigation identified a network of “mule herders” — individuals who aggregate and misuse mule bank accounts — who were retailing and selling such accounts to cyber criminals.
A total of 68 key accused and suspects have been arrested during the period.
According to the statement, mule herders had collected personal information and documents from unsuspecting laypersons and opened multiple bank accounts in the names of their relatives.
“These accounts were operated in a business-like manner,” it added.
As part of the crackdown, police registered 60 cases and identified 869 mule accounts across the state. As many as 8,788 complaints were registered on the National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal (NCRP) against the identified mule accounts.
The total money involved in all NCRP-linked crimes stood at Rs 85.05 crore, of which Rs 13.43 crore has been put on hold, the Cyber Command said.
During the drive, police obtained 32 search warrants and conducted 35 searches. In the searches, 35 ATM cards, 37 passbooks, 80 mobile phones, 28 cheque books and 22 SIM cards were seized, along with other incriminating materials, officials said. Pronab Mohanty, the Director General of Police (Karnataka State Cyber Command) supervised the special drive, police added.
