Toronto: A viral video has raised concerns after allegedly showing a long line of students, reportedly from India, queuing outside the Tandoori Flame restaurant in Brampton, Canada. The footage, which has quickly circulated on social media, captures around 3,000 students waiting to be interviewed for waiter and server positions.
The video, posted on X by Megh Updates, has sparked a debate over the opportunities available for international students, especially those aspiring to study or work in Canada. The caption accompanying the video reads, "Scary scenes from Canada as 3,000 students (mostly Indian) line up for waiter and servant jobs after an advertisement by a new restaurant opening in Brampton. Massive unemployment in Trudeau's Canada? Students leaving India for Canada with rosy dreams need serious introspection!"
Scary scenes from Canada as 3000 students (mostly Indian) line up for waiter & servant job after an advertisement by a new restaurant opening in Brampton.
— Megh Updates 🚨™ (@MeghUpdates) October 3, 2024
Massive unemployment in Trudeau's Canada? Students leaving India for Canada with rosy dreams need serious introspection! pic.twitter.com/fd7Sm3jlfI
While the video’s authenticity is not verified, it has triggered widespread discussions online. Some users expressed concerns over the timing of moving abroad amidst economic uncertainty. One commented, “People need to understand that with a recession looming overhead, this is not the right time to move abroad.”
Others defended the students, suggesting that working part-time in restaurants is a common practice for many international students. One user noted, “If they are students and still studying, working in a restaurant is probably a part-time job to support themselves. That should not be called unemployment.”
Supporters of the students also highlighted the challenges faced by international students, pointing out that many eventually succeed despite difficult initial conditions. “Maybe the beginning is tough for these students who dream big in Canada. I have seen that, despite extremely tough conditions, they eventually succeed and lead enriching lives compared to back home,” read one comment.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Lucknow (PTI): Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav on Saturday accused the BJP government of "playing" with his security and sought an explanation for the withdrawal of the National Security Guard (NSG) cover provided to him.
In a statement issued from the SP headquarters here, the former chief minister said the government must clarify the reasons cited in his security cover review that led to the withdrawal.
"The BJP government is playing with my security. I had NSG security, but it was withdrawn. The government should have disclosed why," Yadav said, alleging that security decisions were being politicised.
Yadav also referred to the withdrawal of SPG protection for Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, claiming that the BJP government had earlier removed his cover and made him vacate his official residence.
Speaking to reporters during his day-long visit to Jhansi, Yadav accused the BJP of "insulting everyone", including a Shankaracharya and students at the Magh Mela in Prayagraj.
"They pulled the 'shikha' (tuft of hair) of our 'batuks' and humiliated them. The chief minister is constantly insulting Shankaracharya. He is demanding certificates from him," Yadav said, adding that Yogi Adityanath should apologise for his actions
A "true yogi" empathises with people's suffering, he said, and alleged that the government instead celebrates bulldozing houses. He further claimed that the chief minister does not respect the Constitution and law, and cited cases mentioned in Adityanath's 2017 election affidavit to attack him.
"No other chief minister has faced as many cases as the current chief minister," the SP chief said in the statement.
