New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has stepped up security arrangements across the national capital ahead of the New Year, with special focus on curbing drunken driving, traffic violations and unruly behaviour, officials said on Saturday.
Nearly 20,000 police personnel, including traffic police and paramilitary forces, will be deployed across the city to ensure law and order on New Year's Eve, they said.
Security has been tightened at the city's borders with Haryana and Uttar Pradesh as the administration expects an influx of people from the neighbouring states for year-end celebrations, they added.
ALSO READ: Over 300 Mumbai daily local trains cancelled due to major railway line work
A senior police officer said multiple pickets, barricades and vehicle-checking points will be set up across the city, especially at entry points, party zones, markets and nightlife hubs.
"The traffic police have drawn up a detailed plan to deal with drunken driving, rash driving and motorcycle stunts. Breath analysers will be used extensively at checkpoints and strict action will be taken against violators," the officer said.
He added that police teams have been instructed to immediately impound two-wheelers and four-wheelers if anyone is found indulging in dangerous stunts or driving under the influence of alcohol.
Special traffic arrangements have been drawn up for Connaught Place, Hauz Khas, major markets and areas around malls, where heavy footfall is expected on New Year's Eve. At Connaught Place, only vehicles with valid stickers will be allowed to enter the Inner Circle, police said.
Additional forces will also be deployed at India Gate, where large crowds traditionally gather to welcome the New Year, the officer said.
Station house officers have been directed to remain on the streets with their teams throughout the night to maintain law and order, while Quick Reaction Teams have been stationed at strategic locations, he added.
Apart from traffic enforcement, police teams will also check hotels, guest houses, night shelters, bus terminals and railway stations as part of routine verification drives, the officer said.
"Our teams are checking bus stands, railway stations, hotels, dharamshalas, night shelters and other locations to verify if anyone is staying without providing proper documents. We have already launched a special drive to identify people staying illegally in the national capital," he said.
Checking against drunken driving will be intensified throughout the night, and anyone found violating traffic rules will be penalised, the officer added.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Bengaluru (PTI): The Karnataka State Cyber Command has arrested 68 people as part of a statewide drive against mule bank accounts and “mule herders” involved in cyber fraud, officials said on Friday.
The special operations, which have been continuing since last week across Karnataka, targeted networks engaged in aggregating and selling mule bank accounts used for cyber crimes.
The arrests were made between December 2025 and February 2026, police said in an updated report.
“The Karnataka Cyber Command has conducted statewide special operations against Mule accounts and mule herders across Karnataka. The special drive has continued since last week and this is an updated report,” the department said in a statement.
ALSO READ: CM Siddaramaiah appeals for peace after Bagalkote clashes, BJP blames Cong
Police said the investigation identified a network of “mule herders” — individuals who aggregate and misuse mule bank accounts — who were retailing and selling such accounts to cyber criminals.
A total of 68 key accused and suspects have been arrested during the period.
According to the statement, mule herders had collected personal information and documents from unsuspecting laypersons and opened multiple bank accounts in the names of their relatives.
“These accounts were operated in a business-like manner,” it added.
As part of the crackdown, police registered 60 cases and identified 869 mule accounts across the state. As many as 8,788 complaints were registered on the National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal (NCRP) against the identified mule accounts.
The total money involved in all NCRP-linked crimes stood at Rs 85.05 crore, of which Rs 13.43 crore has been put on hold, the Cyber Command said.
During the drive, police obtained 32 search warrants and conducted 35 searches. In the searches, 35 ATM cards, 37 passbooks, 80 mobile phones, 28 cheque books and 22 SIM cards were seized, along with other incriminating materials, officials said. Pronab Mohanty, the Director General of Police (Karnataka State Cyber Command) supervised the special drive, police added.
