Chamarajanagar (Karnataka) (PTI): Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Thursday dismissed reports of a 'November revolution', calling the term a "media creation".
He emphasised that his position has been strong from the beginning and will continue to remain so in the future.
Speculation had been circulating about a possible leadership change in Karnataka, suggesting that Siddaramaiah could step down to make way for his deputy, D K Shivakumar, as the next CM. Some had labelled the potential change as the 'November revolution'.
"It is you (media) who coined the term. You cooked up this 'revolution'. Hence, there is no 'kranti' (revolution) or 'bhranti' (confusion). We have been given a five-year tenure to rule. After five years, elections will take place and we will win once again," Siddaramaiah told reporters here.
The chief minister reiterated that the people have entrusted Congress with power for five years.
"People have given us the mandate to rule for five years. We will make a sincere effort to fulfil the five guarantees (Gruha Lakshmi, Shakti, Gruha Jyothi, Anna Bhagya and Yuva Nidhi) we have promised," he said, declining to comment on power-sharing discussions.
When asked whether he would remain in office for the full five years, Siddaramaiah said, "What does it mean? These are unwanted discussions. I had told the party high command that two-and-a-half years had to pass, after which a cabinet reshuffle could be considered. It was only after that that these discussions about power sharing started."
When asked if a date has been fixed for the cabinet reshuffle, he said Congress president Mallikarjun Kharge is in discussion with Congress MP Rahul Gandhi.
Regarding the 2028 Assembly elections, he said, "Let them (polls) approach."
On how many budgets he would present, Siddaramaiah added that he would continue to do so as long as the people wished.
Addressing a superstitious belief that sitting CMs visiting Chamarajanagar lose power midway, Siddaramaiah said, "I do not believe in superstition. For me, visiting Chamarajanagar, Mysuru, or Bengaluru is the same. I will visit all 31 districts of the state."
He explained that his visit to Chamarajanagar was meant to challenge the superstition and send a message to those who said sitting chief ministers should avoid the district.
"My position has only strengthened. It has been strong from the beginning and will continue to remain strong in the future," he added.
On the issue of power sharing, Siddaramaiah reiterated that Congress has been given a five-year mandate and his government will make a sincere effort to fulfil the five promises it has made.
Speaking about robbers who decamped with Rs 7 crore in Bengaluru on Wednesday, the chief minister said, "We have got clues. The car has already been recovered. We will identify the dacoits and arrest them at any cost."
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): The Supreme Court on Thursday slammed the freebies culture, saying it was high time to revisit such policies that hamper the country's economic development.
Taking note of the Tamil Nadu Power Distribution Corporation Ltd's plea, which proposed to provide free electricity to all irrespective of financial status of consumers, the top court said it was quite understandable if states hand-hold the poor.
“Most of the states in the country are revenue deficit states and yet they are offering such freebies” overlooking development, a bench comprising Chief Justice Surya Kant and Justices Joymalya Bagchi and Vipul M Pancholi said.
ALSO READ: SC grants bail to filmmaker Vikram Bhatt in cheating case
The bench said economic development of the nation gets hampered with this kind of largesse distribution and states should work to open avenues for employment instead of giving free food, cycles, electricity to all.
The top court, however, issued notice to Centre and others on the plea of the DMK government-led power distribution firm which proposes to provide free electricity.
The power firm has challenged a rule of the Electricity Amendment Rules, 2024.
“What kind of culture are we developing in India? It is understandable that as part of the welfare measure you want to provide to those who are incapable of pay the electricity charges,” the bench asked.
“But without drawing a distinction between those who can afford and those who cannot, you start distributing. Will it not amount to an appeasing policy,” the CJI asked.
The bench asked as to why the Tamil Nadu firm suddenly decided to loosen the purse strings after the electricity tariff was notified.
“The states should work to open avenues for employment. If you start giving free food from morning to evening then free cycle, then free electricity then who will work and then what will happen to the work culture,” the CJI said.
The bench said states, instead of spending on development projects, do two jobs - paying salaries and distributing such largesse.
