Belagavi (Karnataka), Dec 12: The Karnataka Assembly on Thursday witnessed a light-hearted banter between Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar and Leader of Opposition R Ashoka, with the latter playfully questioning Shivakumar when he planned to "snatch power" and become the CM of the state.

The exchange was triggered by Shivakumar’s anecdote about securing a ministerial berth in the S M Krishna-led cabinet in 1999, shared while paying tribute to the late former Chief Minister.

The story piqued interest among the MLAs, with some linking it to his current Chief Ministerial aspirations.

Recalling how the Congress came to power in the state in 1999, Shivakumar said, “It was me who drew up the list of ministers and their portfolios, which was sent to the high command. However, when the final list reached Raj Bhavan, my name and T B Jayachandra’s name were missing. Only nine names made it to the list. Media reported that I would become the CM’s political secretary.”

ALSO READ: BJP MLAs storm Speaker’s chamber over conduct in Karnataka Assembly

The Deputy CM said he had then consulted his astrologer, who advised him to "snatch power" if he wanted it. Following this, Shivakumar, along with Jayachandra, had approached Krishna with a demand to be included in the cabinet.

“I told him there wouldn’t be a government without me, and he couldn’t be sworn in without me,” Shivakumar said, recounting how the swearing-in ceremony was delayed to include him in the cabinet list.

At this juncture, Ashoka interjected, asking, “Will you snatch power now to become the CM? When will that happen?”

Amid laughter in the House, the LoP claimed, “I know your astrologer has said you must become CM before January-end or it will be difficult. Your stars are aligned only until then. Don’t delay, or someone like AICC president Mallikarjun Kharge might end up taking the post.”

Shivakumar, smiling, responded, “My astrologer predicted when I would become an MLA, a minister, and even when I wouldn’t get a ticket. If I reveal what he has told me now, 25-30 BJP MLAs and some JD(S) members might join Congress!”

The exchange, filled with humor, left the Assembly in splits.

Chief Minister Siddaramaiah was absent during this discussion.

Shivakumar has been vocal about his aspirations to become Chief Minister. Following the Congress victory in the May Assembly elections, there was intense competition between Siddaramaiah and Shivakumar for the top post. Eventually, the party named Siddaramaiah as CM and Shivakumar as Deputy CM, reportedly under a "rotational chief minister" arrangement, though this has not been officially confirmed.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): The Delhi High Court on Friday asked Jaideep Sengar, brother of Unnao rape case convict Kuldeep Sengar, to surrender before jail authorities in connection with his conviction in the custodial death case of the survivor's father.

A bench of Justices Navin Chawla and Ravinder Dudeja was hearing a plea by the convict for further extension of interim bail upon suspension of the 10-year sentence.

It observed that the interim bail granted to Jaideep Sengar in July 2024 was last extended in April 2025 and since then, in spite of five dates, no order of any further extension or suspension of his sentence has been passed by the court.

As the senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar urged the bench to extend the period of his release on account of his health, the bench said, "You surrender and then we will see."

"Although there is no extension of interim suspension of sentence granted, we find he has still not surrendered. Before we proceed to consider his application for further extension of suspension of sentence, we require the appellant to first surrender," the bench ordered.

The senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar assured the court that he would surrender by Saturday.

The court listed the matter for hearing next week.

Jaideep Sengar, 50, sought the bail extension on the grounds that he is suffering from oral cancer.

The Central Bureau of Investigation's (CBI) counsel had earlier said it was not a fit case for extension of interim bail, and the prescription given by Jaideep Sengar in support of his plea was fabricated.

In his application, Jaideep Sengar said he was suffering from stage IV oral cancer, a life-threatening condition, and had developed clinical signs of recurrence.

The condition, the plea said, required continuous and specialised medical care.

The plea also informed that Jaideep Sengar has spent about four years in custody.

The high court had granted interim bail to Jaideep Sengar on July 3, 2024, for two months on medical grounds.

Kuldeep Sengar was convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for the remainder of his life on December 20, 2019, for raping the minor in 2017.

On March 13, 2020, Kuldeep Sengar, along with Jaideep Sengar, was sentenced to 10 years' rigorous imprisonment by the trial court, which also imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakh, in the custodial death case of the rape survivor's father.

The survivor's father was arrested, allegedly at the behest of the accused, under the Arms Act and died in custody on April 9, 2018, owing to police brutality.

The trial court said no leniency could be shown for killing a family's sole breadwinner.